[drivingpairs] Tandem Trace Attaching

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:06:22 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to clarify also, by saying that the hames
strap, to me, is the narrow one which buckles the
hames together.  Hames(metal) can have one hames strap
at the top, maybe a second hames strap at the lower
end of the hames, instead of a kidney link or chain as
Sterling mentioned.  The short tugs come off the hames
eye, with the metal staple attaching the hame to the
leather, short tug holding the trace buckle.

The reason a trace from the leader would attach to the
tandem key on the trace buckle tongue, or loop on the
corner of the trace buckle, would be to make the trace
line straight back to the carriage.  Leader is
anchored to a firm, solid, attachment on the turnout.
Any pull by the leader is going to transfer back to
singletree.

You want the martingale strap on wheeler to go all the
way around the collar, down thru the kidney link,
buckle closed.  It makes collar more solid on the
wheeler, with martingale attached to girth.  Limited
collar movement.  Safety measure.  Prevents any pull
by leader traces, from making collar go up the
wheeler's neck.  Especially important if wheeler is
stopping, leader is still pulling.  We use martingales
on our horses, breast collars or neck collars,
wheelers and leaders.  Keeps harness in place,
quieter.

I would agree with Jerry, Sterling, and others who
said NOT to attach leader traces to hames, straps or
any rings on collar.  Hames are designed to seat down
in the rim of the neckcollar, with horse pushing
forward against the collar.  Rim of collar is not
designed to heep hames on, when pulled straight
forward by a strong equine.  Once the hames are off
the collar, wheeler is not in control of his vehicle,
harness system of Tandem is ruined.  You may be able
to get everything stopped, but it could be very
dangerous.

Tandem keys pull along the trace buckle, beside trace.
Not pulling exactly straight or ONLY on the buckle
tongue.  Kind of a diverted, mechanical pull effect.
Keys are strong, but again Leader is not really
expected to be pulling the carriage weight.  If Leader
does pull, Wheeler trace-buckle with trace, is firmly
anchored on singletree, not moveable harness.  Pull
can only go forward the length of Wheeler trace,
before vehicle moves forward too.  Leader can't pull
harness, collar forward, out of position, on the
Wheeler.

Kidney link is stronger than a strap, being metal.
One less leather piece to fail.  The pushing of horse
into collar, helps seat the hames and kidney link into
the rim of the neck collar.  I consider it useful, not
decorative.  We try to use closed kidney links, they
link shut, making a stronger closure.  Also no ends of
metal, that might catch on something.  Some open links
just never lay flat.  Kidney links come in various
lengths to fit wide necks.

We use Tandem Bars and like them much better than the
Tandem keys.  Changes the whole mechanics of the
system.  We used them for CDE.  We changed because our
Leader got her leg over those long, droopy traces on
turns, pulled the wheeler into a post.
  With the Tandem bars we can use much shorter traces,
no droop to catch a leg.  With Bars, we never have to
worry about Leader pulling Wheeler off his feet on a
tight, fast turn.  We are using the Leader to pull on
long straight sections and uphills on the Marathon.
We do use breastcollar harness for CDE.  Different
demands than Pleasure driving.  Using our Leader to
work, leaves us with a lot more horse when the Wheeler
does have to do all the work on hazard turns.
  Our large horses make for a LOT of flopping traces
when using Tandem keys.   We really don't like using
elastic things in driving, too much play, so the trace
holders were not a good option for us.  We did some
modifications to our Tandem equipment, to suit our CDE
needs.

Jay and Sterling have also used the Tandem Bars to
good effect.  Jay explained how he made his.  Post is
in the archives. I would like to see Sterling's
Wheeler harness in person, looked real interesting in
the photos I have seen.

Kathy Robertson

Just to clarify