[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem Questions

  • From: "David Getz" <tandemguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:55:42 -0500

Hi Anewton,
I am a tandem driver that competes in combine at prelim and Intermediate
and also show pleasure around the country. I have some thought about your
set up.
If your showing in pleasure shows you shouldn't mix harness. If you use
leather you should stick with leather
In CDE's I use leather for Dressage and Cones and Beta for Marathon.
If you have  really nice harness I would think about tandem bars. They
really make your turnout sharp also not everyone uses them. If not go
online and order keys they're  not expensive.
Using a martingale, run the end thru the collar and down to the kidney link
this will help lock the harness in position.
If I read you right, you have a connection attached directly to the hames,
This is a really bad setup. You shouldn't have anything that might be able
pull the hames away form the collar This is bad.

I hope this might help you.

Thanks so much Dave!! I opted for Beta lines, do any of you foresee a
problem with using Beta instead of leather. I am using neck collars and had
a couple of questions. First , I don't have tandem keys or a tandem buckle
on my wheelers harness. The hames maker put a large SS ring at the edge of
the steeple draft where it connects to the short trace strap normally (feel
free to correct me here) the leader would hook into the wheeler at the
buckle of the short trace. Now where I would be hooking in is on the hames
juncture closer to the collar rather than the buckle. I can't find this set
up anywhere else, so is this going to be a problem. I know with the leader
out of draft it won't but what will happen when the leader is in draft The
ring itself is solid and does not interfere with the function of the hames
or  where it connects with the short trace and is joined into the SS metal
part not leather of the h
>  ames not the leather part.
>     I do have a false martingale for the wheeler. Does this have to be
hooked onto a kidney link as part of the hames or can it just be hooked
into the leather hames strap at the bottom of the collar?