[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem Incident

  • From: FriesianPrDriver@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:25:22 EST

Hi Renie,

The gullet strap is a VERY good idea!  Thanks.  By chin strap do  you mean
the throatlatch?

Kathy,

I think that the rings hanging from the straps attached to  the loops of the
crown were too small for the reins to move very  freely.  The tandem reins I
have are horse length - that was why I had the  excess coiled up - there was so
much of it.  Personally, I would hesitate  to leave leaders reins unbuckled -
The leader's trace connection to the  wheeler would have to break b4 the
reins being unbuckled would be of any  benefit - and they just don't break that
easily.  I would be more  concerned that in an incident, the unbuckled reins
might slip out of the  drivers' hands, and therefore one might lose control of
the leaders b4  they ever broke free of the traces.  Hmmm - scary any way you
look at  it!

The weird thing is - the slight knock on the head helped me out!   I had been
feeling a little fuzzy on and off all day until the knock  literally knocked
some sense into me.  My neck and back got adjusted -  I guess some of it was
good!!!

And yes - my ground person is wonderful, quick, fearless, but  knowledgeable
and strong!  A real asset!!

In a message dated 1/23/2006 8:59:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ponylady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi
I'm a driver of Welsh ponies with tiny, tiny ears.  A few great  solutions
for keeping a bridle on any pony with tiny ears are
1) always  keep the bridle path clipped.  I use a surgical blade (15) to get
it  very, very short and i do it often.
2) keep the chin strap a little tighter  than you might on another horse or
pony.
3) use a gullet strap...runs  from the caveson to chin strap and makes the
bridle fit like a  halter.

Renie
ponylady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.GilcrestFarm.com

Karen  Wilkin
Star Cross Stable Friesian Horses & Sport Ponies
_www.starcrossstable.com_ (http://www.starcrossstable.com/)
47  Yellowbrook Rd.
Freehold, NJ 07728
732-919-3827