[drivingpairs] Re: Tandem Bars Are Better

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:56:48 -0700

Kathy, I have a question.  How do you attach your tandem bars to the pulling
system?  Did I read something about attaching to the center of the wheelers
breast
collar?  Please explain.

When using my tandem bars, they attach via short trace links to the same tandem
keys I use for the long traces. The center strap is used for support only, and
is
never in draft.

While corresponding with a friend on the Welsh Cob list, he mentioned that he
uses
a long trace system for his leaders, where the leader traces connect to an extra
singletree on the carriage.  I am not sure how the extra long traces are carried
past the wheeler, but the wheelers harness is apparently not involved at all in
draft, when the leader IS in draft.

BTW, my leader is intentionally in draft on the marathon portions of CDE's, for
just the same reason noted by Kathy.  And I agree with her on the advantages of
using tandem bars for the speed events.

Jay E. Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!