[drivingpairs] Tandem Bars Are Better

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:37:22 -0700 (PDT)

Just thought I would bring Tandem Bars instead of
Tandem Keys to the attention of potential Tandem
drivers.

We quit using the tandem keys because the bars were
such a superior way to attach the leader.  With the
bars, leader can do his turns, aid in pulling, without
interfering with the leader.  We were able to use
shorter leader traces, get much better turns, with
leader out of draft, and no possibilty of leg over the
trace.  Even when leader might get in draft by
accident turning, with the bars, there is much less
chance of pulling the wheeler over.  No chance of
sweeping wheeler  front legs out from under him, as
with with leader trace attached at his short tug.

We have done CDE with the leader bars and a lot of
road, picnic driving.  Not just a show ring Tandem.
The single pivot point of the leader bar in front of
wheeler, really frees up the leader for moving and
sharp turns that are often needed in CDE driving.  We
also commit the  MAJOR SIN of Tandem Driving, MAKING
THE LEADER WORK!!!  In CDE, the wheeler is working a
pretty heavy load, so we let leader help by pulling on
the hills and long straight-aways.  Take the wheeler
out of draft!   The way the bars are attached to
wheeler breastcollar chest, leader pull is centered on
wheeler chest center, and force then goes to wheeler
traces for long, straight-pull, forward.
 Wheeler catches his breath, rests for curves,
downhills, where only he can work.  Pretty nice when
both horses have the same P&R, temps, at Vet check!

All the people I know using Tandem leader bars, have
made their own.  Jay had some pictures posted a while
ago.  The Tjeerd Velsta book shows some nice leader
bars and the chest attachment system Mr. Velstra uses.
 We copied his system for our Tandem.

There are some down sides to using Tandem keys, like
the extremely long leader traces needed.  All the
hipstrap hangers are not going to keep the traces out
of the way on square 90* corners.  We tried them, she
still stuck her leg over traces.  Wheeler got in
leader trace once!  I would not recommend the bungie
cord method, though others use it.  I think bungie
would be a big no-no for Presentation too!  The length
added ahead, by the bars was enough to keep shorter
leader traces and still be far enough from wheeler.
  The key or loop attachment of cock-eye leader traces
at the wheeler's trace buckle, makes front end of
wheeler fall in control of leader's trace tightness.
A leader trace pulling around the corner, forces
wheeler to turn as well, on a smaller curve than may
have been planned.
A leader pulling fast and hard, will just pull the
wheeler over sideways, whether he wants to go or not!!
A superb leader who never tightens the traces would be
super, but Tandems move FAST!  Stuff happens in the
blink of an eye, or less!  Doesn't take much sideways
pull from leader, to put your carriage on a post.
Wheeler can't hold leader off.  Leader bars, have
leader traces even, with equal tension, no big
hanging, extra loops on curves and corners.  Bars have
different pulling location, chest, which changes
leader pull effect on turns.

Just thought folks would like this other option to
consider.  Tandem keys are not really expensive, nor
is making a set of leader bars.  Little more harness
work for attaching leader bars to wheeler.  I thing
the plus sides of Tandem leader bars, really out
weighs the less work of Tandem Key attachments and
their minus points.

Kathy Robertson