[drivingpairs] Tandem

  • From: "Anewton" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:08:04 -0500

    Many many thanks Sterling, David and Hardy your thoughts are greatly
appreciated. Just to clarify the ring is technically on the hame strap not the
hames itself , which made me wonder (not an expert at physics here) would the
pull from the leaders traces not be in direct opposition to the pull from the
wheelers traces??  Or why,could you not clip directly into the hame buckle
itself? I have always wondered with Tandem keys , is the tongue of the buckle
the strongest part to be hooking into? I am just trying to understand all the
options about hooking the leaders traces to the Wheeler.
    Does the kidney link have a specific function or is the use of a kidney
link or chain on the collar more closely related to tradition than function. If
using a neck collar with your leader would it be necessary to have a false
martingale for functional purposes?
    What are the advantages or disadvantages to Tandem Bars? Do most people use
them when doing cones and marathon?
    Anyone have personal experience in driving Tandem in a sleigh??
    Sterling showed David McWethy and I a great alternative instead of using
Leader trace drops (hangers). You put snaps on the ends and a ring farther back
on your traces to snap into. Works like a charm and traces don't droop as much !
    Sorry for all the questions but it is -35 F and a good time to stay indoors
and reflect a bit  :-)
Ansley