[drivingpairs] Switching sides

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:16:56 EDT

I switch mine (almost) every time I drive. Of course I have my "better" side,
which I use(d) at events, but at home, we switch almost every time, and would
do so too with rotating the spare horse in (and out). They all get used to
it. I don't think open bridels would make much of a difference, and I don't
like
open bridles for carriage horses, not single, and even less in a pair, as in
the pair they will start to travel crooked, always looking back for the whip.
Draft horses is another story, they can travel happily with open bridles.
Initial training is also another story, there it is a good safety practice to
have
horses also trained to go with open bridles.

On Debbie's account of her problems starting out: I haven't been there, but
by what she described,  I would not have stopped again, even with the bad
behaviour in the beginning. Quite the contrary, by going FORWARD one has the
best
chance to work things out, as she did later. The lurching forward and rearing
and unevenness, all that is quite the same as when starting for the very first
time, and there too, go FORWARD and that's your best chance to get it worked
out and under control (in a safe envirenment = large arena). See my article
Pair Driving 101 on the www.drivingpairs.com website.
Hardy