[drivingpairs] Re: Supplements

  • From: "M. Denmark" <mdenmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:54:20 -0500

I was frustrated and thought I had tried everything for my ponies.  Even had
the vet take blood work and all came back within normal limits. So the
ponies weren't sick but something wasn't right.  Too heavy and not sweating
or not sweating enough.  And they were on a strictly monitored high fiber
low cal/low carb diet so it wasn't a junk food high sugar diet.  A friend
suggested Quiessence from http://www.foxdenequine.com/index.htm . It sure
seems to have worked wonders for our needs in the sweating/weight
department.   They have lots of good info on the website.  Plus coat,
hooves, endurance, and attitude have all improved--really pretty amazing
results in just a few months.   And one that was sweating well and always
maintained the correct weight but was highly excitable has received a
calming effect from it.  I am planning to add in the Lin-Pro mineral
supplement soon.  Supposedly the Threonine in these products helps with
sweating as well as the Magnesium which works on other issues.  Areas of the
country that are very acidic (lots of pines etc.) sometimes have low
magnesium in the soil and grasses and this can affect sensitive equines.
Two were getting twice the normal amount of One AC (supposed to help with
anhydrosis) but now have been cut back to a normal dose and I hope to
discontinue it altogether after the summer when they have been on the
Quiessence for a longer period of time.

And they all now get the Spirulina Tablets from
http://www.springtimeinc.com/ShowView/product/112/1  I started with just the
one with terrible bug allergies and it made such a difference I tried it on
all of them.  Now no more antihistamines or constant scratching and rubbing.
It contains micronutrients.

Hope this helps your mare and maybe others, too.

Milli Ann
Texas where it is really hot and sticky

PS:  You can buy most of the Foxden products in 50# bulk at a big savings
I've found.

Heat/Humidity Equine work guidelines for horses that sweat normally:
Heat dissipation is affected by both heat and humidity. Problems can be
anticipated by adding the actual temperature to the relative humidity and
comparing that number to a set of guidelines. Studies have shown that when
that combined number is less than 130 your horse should not have any trouble
dissipating heat and should be able to perform at full capacity. However
between 130 and 150 heat dissipation is compromised and it becomes harder
and harder for your horse to cool himself. This is where you and your horse
need to slow down and take additional measures to handle the heat. Between
150 and 170 your horse could get into real trouble and extreme caution
should be taken when you ride. It is advisable that no exercise be performed
when the score is over 170. There are those few exceptional equine athletes
that successfully handle such intense heat but most horses are going to have
problems.

Horses with anyhydrosis do not benefit from the usual electrolytes the same
as really sweaty horses.  They don't sweat to lose the minerals and salts
and could become over burdened.