[drivingpairs] Questions on pair harness...

  • From: "MARGARET TOWNSEND" <NAMGO@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "drivingpairs" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:18:33 -0700

Hello, everyone-
  I am still learning, learning, learning....about this multiples stuff(and
loving it, BTW!)
  A few basic questions: what are 'full hames'? What other kind are there? What
kind/type of harness-and for that matter, type/build of horse-is considered
'correct' put to a vis a vis? I have seen plenty of photos/TV footage of the
city carriage horses, as in NYC-seems most are single drafts/draft crosses, and
lots of the vehicles are vis a vis, or maybe, victorias? Seems these are sort
of 'limited purpose', albeit elegant in appearance, vehicles, used mostly for
occasions of slow, sedate progression along fairly level surfaces?  I do not
have, nor do I plan to have, either kind of vehicle myself; however, I do know
a couple of people who have asked me for advice on what kind of harness/and
what body type of horse, is best for such vehicles(parades and such-and these
ARE miniature horses,and the vehicles are miniature-sized.) One of these folks
just bought a pair of little red duns-pretty drafty-built fellows-and she
showed me the harness that she got with them. It was black leather, with brass
spots(boy, would I NOT want to have to clean it!), and chains on the
carriage-end of the traces(tugs). It also has neck collars, with those hames
that have two 'upward extensions' that are topped with little round brass
knobs. I didn't think this was a suitable harness to be used with her white vis
a vis-but, what do I know?? So, I came here to ask those who would!
  If, indeed, this harness is not suitable for the vehicles I mention, then
what type WOULD be proper? Is there a synthetic that would be OK, or does
either tradition and/or the demands of usage require leather?(I have pair
harness in both materials, and frankly, I am VERY partial to the beta, for its
ease of care/clean-up.) I don't think either of these people will ever be in an
ADS show ring, though one might try the mini breed show ring in future-if that
should be a factor.
  I will be grateful for your responses; my thanks in advance!
  Regards,
  Margo Cox-Townsend-in unusually warm and pitifully dry, New Mexico