[drivingpairs] Re: Pushing pairs

  • From: "Willcoxson" <witwood.oz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:57:23 +1000

Luke, the right hand pony of my pair of Welshies started pushing against the
pole quite badly some weeks ago. These ponies have been together since birth
and are now 13 years old - always driven as a pair or in a four-in-hand - so
they are used to each other and are not 'fraidy cats!
My solution was to swap them over and of course the pushing stopped. After two
major competitions and a couple of weeks of ordinary dressage/driving, I
thought I would swap them back again. Big mistake. After enjoying a lovely
drive in the autumn sunshine for about an hour the other day, low and behold
Luke started pushing again. So back to the left hand side for him.
However in the meantime my "bibles" are the German Principles of Driving and
Pape's The Art of Driving. They explain the coupling rein set-up really well.
Dot
Braidwood, NSW