[drivingpairs] Progress Day

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RecreationalEquineDriving@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 21:27:30 -0700

Some of you know that I often drive and compete with a tandem of Welsh Ponies.
You may also
recall that I retired my wheeler at the ripe age of 20.  Sammy is going on to
resume her
career as a brood mare.

In October I brought home a borrowed mare that has had experience as the
wheeler in a
tandem, and in a four in hand.  I drove her in Colorado at the ADS meeting in
early October,
both in the four and in a tandem.  What with a combination of bad weather and
lack of help,
I have been unable to put the tandem together until this weekend.  Bummer!!
(Tandem is not
something one should try alone.  There are too many pitfalls involved.)

Too make a long story shorter, Friday PM I loaded up and headed over to Clay
Station Horse
Park, which belongs to close friend Debbie Packard, who is a driving
instructor.  Deb had
some time and volunteered to give me a hand putting them together for the first
time.
Understand that both mares are very experienced as singles and in tandem, but
have never
been  hitched together.  I have been pasturing them together since I brought
Crystal home so
they are not strangers, just not co-workers.

Discretion being the better part of valor, we decided to actually hitch them in
Debbie's
covered arena, figuring it would be the safest place to work.  One of Deb's
students was
also there, so we had three of us to get things started.  After a couple of
bobbles due to
pony anxiety, they were hitched!  And off we went, around the large, enclosed
arena.  It
only took a few minutes until they settled into a rhythm like they had been
doing it for
ever.  They were soo good that we deciede to take a lap or two around the
ranch.  A minor
scare at the goats in the next pasture, and another bobble at the loose horse
in the next
field, but a very good first outing!

Debbie was also free to help on Saturday, so I went back over (it's about 20
minutes from
home).  This time we hitched right at the trailer, and headed straight to the
dressage
court.  After a few minutes of warm up, I put them through a few elements of a
dressage
test, and we did most of Prelim 4.  I was VERY pleased at how well they did!  I
think they
will be OK after a suitable application of time and miles.

We are aiming for the California Wine Country Carriage Classic coming up in
June, which is a
major pleasure driving show that includes a demonstration drive through the
Town of
Kelseyville (near Lakeport) so I have some work to do.  At least there is hope!
 The big
difficulty is getting help when putting to.  Anybody near Sacramento, CA who
wants to play
tandem?  <VBG>

Jay E. Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!