[drivingpairs] Re: Pole questions fixed vs. dropped

  • From: Carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:33:22 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2006 11:05:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Subject: [drivingpairs] Re: Pole height
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:36:38 -0700
>
> I have a question so basic I didn't want to post it. I have been mostly
> lurking and learning; I only drive singles - What is the difference between
> dropped and fixed poles? Which would be better for steep hills (I assume one
> would allow the pole to "move" with the shoulders of the equines, on hills?)
> Can a pole be used on a two wheeled vehicle for a pair to pull? Is there a
> basic video or book that has elementary information like this in it? I have
> miniature horses that are trained to drive.
>

> Karen

The only silly question is the one that ISN'T ASKED!  how else are we to
learn?  Ask away!!!  This is what I understand...
FIXED POLE:  The pole goes into a recepticle in the 5th wheel of the 4
wheeled carriage.  The pole stays 'fixed', meaning that it doesn't 'float' with
the
terrain.  It is 'self' supporting, and they usually have a 'crab' on the end,
not a wide yoke. Sometimes it can 'drag' downwards or 'pull' upwards on your
team (bang their noses as well).  They were designed to be used on good roads
with little terrain change.

DROPPED POLE: (American)  The pole is attached to the axle.  It is not
stationary (fixed), as it can rotate on the bolts attached to the axle.  The
weight
of the pole is held up by the collars on the horses (but its really very
light), and you will use a wide yoke.  This rise/ fall ability is very good on
uneven terrain, and it won't poke your horses' faces.

Now, some dropped pole wagons and older CDE vehicles - not  pleasure
carriages, do have very heavy poles.  These can be supported with the help of a
heavy
duty spring attached to the pole near the body of the vehicle to help support
the pole and lessen the bounce of the pole over terrain.

Hope this helps!

Trish Demers
Carpe Diem Farm
Hackneys & Sport Horses, training & lessons - driving, riding, sidesaddle,
horsemanship
Lancaster, CA           carpediemfarm@xxxxxxx
Try hard, win humbly, lose gracefully, protest with dignity