[drivingpairs] Pole Head Question

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:23:46 EST

"I used to have a fixed pole head with fixed rings for the straps and changed
it to a swivel with a swingtree type thingee whose name escapes me.  (Been a
while since I drove a pair!)  Anyway, which do folks who are actively
competing in CDEs prefer and why?"

You are talking about a marathon yoke as pole head. It has the advantage that
you can drive with a shorter pole, as you can hook it with quick releases
directly into the breast collar (or kidney link of full collars)  D rings at
the center of each horse/pony, thus the pole head does not to be longer than
being next to resp. very slightly in front of their chests. If you would do
that with a conventional pole, without the yoke, then the pole straps would
run at a right angle from the pole to the horses/ponies, thus not enabling
them to hold back on the pole when needed, instead they would just be pulled
in to the pole. With the yoke they can hold back as they can pull straight
back and are not pulled into the pole.

The shorter pole  has the advantage of needing less room to turn in tight
hazards. For dressage and cones a conventional pole slightly longer and with
pole straps or chains is fine.

Also, as that question is sometimes asked: The yoke should swivel freely to
all sides.
Hardy