[drivingpairs] Pair Reins

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:30:46 EDT

Yes, thanks, Helen, you got it pretty correctly. The Achenbach reins are
pretty much the same as English reins, with the following differences:

1. The coupling rein buckle is close enough to your hand, that by leaning
forward you can reach it from the box to make adjustments without having to
get down. (Good Achenbach drivers were supposed to be able to do that while
driving without stopping and without disturbing the horses in the mouth).
Most English reins don't have the buckles that close as it costs more
leather.

2. The rein length and width is typically German NORMED, they all are exactly
the same (or at least are supposed to be), and especially so for the holes
for the coupling buckles, always 11 holes at normed distances, so that
adjustments are NORMED. Coming from the military one driver could tell the
next: This pair goes on holes 5 & 7, or this pair goes 5&5, or 6&6, etc, so
then they new exactly how to do their reins to drive the pair.  We don't need
that anymore, BUT, when I do a clinic and a pair driver comes up, by just
looking at his English reins I have NO idea on which setting his reins are,
and if they are adjusted properly or crooked or what. If he has Achenbach
reins I can see exactly from the reins already where he is.

3. Their width is wide enough to hold them properly Achenbach style one inch
(which costs more leather, thus is often not done, but if they ae not wide
enough, it's hard to drive Achenbach well as the hands get too tired by
having to press too much to avoid slippage)

4. The buckles on the coupling reins in front at the billet end, where they
are buckled into the bits are sewn on what looks like backwards, so that each
coupling rein is turned 180 degrees (looking from the front of the horses, to
the right = clockwise on the right horse and left = anti clockwise on the
left horse) to help the reins stay upright on the horses backs and not get
twisted to the wrong side (small detail, which often are done wrong today
even by top name harness makers).

In general, sure, I prefer Achenbach reins, but English reins will do, but
advise very much against Hungarian reins, since as Helen says correctly, that
can get very confusing. Especially so for a beginning pair driver and usually
makes for more confusing and worse driving of not only the driver but also
the horses, than a regular pair rein, even though often a beginner thinks
otherwise and thinks with that he could work like with two single reins, one
for each horse, but it really is very counterproductive for proper pair
driving, and can be mastered properly ONLY by very experienced drivers, but
not by beginners. Don't even think about being able to influence each horse
separatly through the reins, that's the wrong route, you don't want two
horses, you want ONE PAIR. So please, you beginners, do yourself AND your
horses a favor and don't even think of Hungarian reins. Proper pair reins and
knowing how to adjust them and work with them are one of the key elements for
proper pair driving. The pair rein adjustment can and should be learned from
the book and in theory first and needs to be fully understood, otherwise you
won't ever become a good pair driver. But with a little logic and a good
book, it's really not at all very hard. (I recommend the book "The principle
of Driving by teh german National Equestrian Federation" or "Driving by Max
Pape" both available from the ADS and CAA)
Hardy