[drivingpairs] Re: Pair Difficulties

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:31:06 -0800

We have found this too. One of our pair has physically shorter legs even
though the horses are the same height. His body is deeper. His stride just
isn't naturally as long. We are working on it as he is green and it can be
improved somewhat. But he will never move like his partner. And that's okay.
It's not like I went shopping for these two to be a pair. We're just using
what we've got. For now we have shortened the reins of the more forward and
experienced horse by a hole so that when I slow him I'm not restraining the
other one. All these little measures do help. It is challenging, but fun
too.
Rachel in BC

The Stewarts wrote: "In response to the comment about not slowing down the
one that was walking faster.  You might want to think about this.  A
multiple can only move as well as the POOREST mover of the group.  If you
try to force this poor guy to do more than it is physically capable of, you
will probably loose the purity of the gait and the relaxation of the horse.
It doesn't hurt a forward mover to learn to accept the restraining aids and
slow down to accommodate its partner.  Its trot will probably get more
brilliant because it will increase suspension."