[drivingpairs] Re: Odometers

  • From: "M. Denmark" <mdenmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:41:45 -0500

You have to build a little bracket that extends off the body and towards the
wheel...as I said that is the tricky part.  They must both be very secure.
To put the magnet onto the wheel you generally just take a spoke and mount
the magnet on it, bend the ends into little circles to put the screws
through, then screw it into the wheel---don't do this until you have the
sensor bracket made and installed as it must be exactly opposite.

Do you have rear torsion suspension?  If so then there is a bar from the
torsion bar back to the wheels.  This will most likely have your brake line
attached to it.  Normally you mount the sensor bracket right here.   The
bracket is made with a little "L" shaped arm that sticks out and places the
sensor in front of the disc brake.  You have to make a mount that screws
into or is welded onto the frame and then extends out towards the wheel and
the sensor goes on the end.  The magnet goes opposite it on the wheel and
voila you've got your computer installed.  Make sure that the distance from
the sensor to the computer up front is within the required distance for
transmission so the info can get up there and you can read it.

First you need to look at what kind of frame and mounting possibilities you
have available on the under carriage.  Measure your distances from the rear
where you want to put it up to the front where you want the computer to be
located and see if it works with the computer.  Start there and send me a
photo if you need some suggestions.  I'm sorry you didn't see my e-mail
address is shown up on the top of the DP e-mail when it comes in.  I can
also send you a photo of one already installed if I can find the camera.

They are really worth the effort and are such a help with training.  You can
also buy a second set of the sensor/magnet components and be able to move
the little computer to another carriage when you get it set up to keep costs
down.

Milli Ann
Magnolia TX
mdenmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx