[drivingpairs] New to the Group - An Introduction

  • From: Jan Tobey <mars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 08:36:40 -0800 (PST)

Hello ALL !!

  I'm Jan of Mars-Montrose Miniature Horses in El Reno, Oklahoma.  I started
with the American Miniature Horses in 1996 and knew when I started that I
wanted to drive teams.  Just last year I sold my last Arabian mare and now have
only miniatures, consisting of 2 4-In-Hand teams, one white (almost) team and
one team of black-bays.  I have two other teams, my first, a team of silver
dapples and a new team of buckskin mares.  In addition to these I have several
brood mares - some trained to drive and two National Champion stallions.

  My first miniature is part of my silver dapple team, National Reserve
Champions in 2003.  His single training I did myself, by reading and watching,
showing him to a Regional Championship in Single Pleasure Driving in 2000.  In
that same year I purchased his look-alike a yearling silver dapple stallion.
He was taught to drive and then the two taught to drive as a team and the rest
is history.  The next pair were two perlinos who were then paired with two
white, maximum expression sabinos.  I have three more white horses in training
in the hopes of creating a 6-in-hand in 2006 or 2007 depending on how the
training progresses.

  I have the history of my teams posted on my web site:

  www.mars-montrose.net     (Please add to your site as a link)

  Please go to the site and enjoy the photos.  I travel as much as my job will
allow to miniature shows from Illinois to Texas, New Mexico to Mississippi and
look forward to going to the Iowa State Fair this year in August.  I drive in
both disiplines, both fine and light harness and also in draft harness.
Teaching the 4-in-hand teams the GEE and HAW has been challenging and I look
forward to advice from this group.  They do well in pairs but when it comes to
the 4 it's probably something I'm missing in my rein position.

  Thanks for letting me be a part of your group and I look forward to learning
and sharing information with everyone.

  Jan