[drivingpairs] New to list

  • From: "Patti Atkinson" <patti.atkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:14:02 +0100

Hello all.
I am in UK and have been driving single for 8 years followed by pair for 3. I
was so lucky to find (or rather have found for me) the perfect match to my
single, so instead of driving one extremely common cob I was driving two.

Sadly now I am back to single with a new beasty, a half bred Dole (Norwegian
trotter) and hoping to find a pair for him next year.

I compete in Horse Driving Trials and my only other driving is to keep them
fit....no pub rallies or showing.

Very interested to read about the price of carriages in the USA. We have some
excellent carriage builders in the UK; I have just ordered a presentation
vehicle from Bennington that can be used for single and pair; but so many of
our drivers are now turning to continental makes which can be much cheaper. I
am inclined to believe that you get what you pay for!

Hopefully one day I might get over to the States and attend some of your
driving shows. They often sound very different to ours and the discussion on
transport left me totally baffled.
I use a 7.5 tonne wagon for the horses and vehicles and we can tow a carravan
behind for our comfort! The wagon has a fold out side attached that becomes two
8 x 8 stables for the horses to sleep in.

I hope that no one objects to me still being on this group even though I am
currently a lowely single. We (thats Keith my groom and husband) still have all
our pairs gear and certainly intend to resume pair one day.

Patti