[drivingpairs] Re: Neck Yokes-Long

  • From: Robyn Cuffey <robyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:19:43 -0500

My Eagle has a steel pole that pins to the carriage but hangs on a
spring to adjust the height. It has a crab (SP?) end that pulls the neck
straps sideways from the collars. I was told this is a drop pole because
it can be released on to the ground. I have always been concerned about
it pulling the horses sideways. Whenever I go to clinics or talk to more
experienced pair drivers they tell me to keep my pole straps VERY short
but that pulls more sideways. How do you prevent the horses from going
crooked or prevent rubs on their shoulders. I am hoping to do
competitive driving this summer and am already concerned about rubs. The
spring does allow the pole to bounce
and I would think that could sore up the top of their necks. It actually
bounces more when they walk.

My first down the road pair experience was with an old wooden drop pole
with a yoke. (only my second time driving pair) 50 yards from  my
driveway one horse started to turn, the yoke "ring" broke (it was old
and the safety strap was torn) and down it went. All would have been
well if I had pulled back on both reins but I thought I should stop the
turning horse by pulling the rein on that side and I managed to pull the
off horse so sideways he fell over the pole in a heap in the road. Not
good. Since then I have avoided any leather attachment setup.
Robyn