[drivingpairs] Near Horse Question

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:46:13 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/2006 11:03:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I have a pair of Perch geldings I have been driving together now for several
>
> months. I'm very pleased with them. They are slightly different in size, but
>
> gait together almost perfectly and are both honest and even.
> Here's my question: Does anyone have a horse that does this? The near horse,
>
> when asked to stop and stand, especially on a slight incline (even though
> I'm
> braking), will swing his rear end to the outside. My impression is that he
> is
> trying to avoid holding with the breeching. He is not ugly about it, but
> very
> matter of factly just swings that left hip out when we stop to stand. He
> does
> not do it when the breeching is slack. I've not tried driving him on the far
>
> side to see if he will also swing out the other way. Just curious to see if
> anyone else has a horse that does this. I haven't noticed anything
> conformationally that would encourage him to do this, but wouldn't rule it
> out.
>
> Insight?
I can think of two reasons: If you don't use a yoke, but pole straps or
chains, then of course when they need to hold back the pull is at a slight
angle
towards the pole head. So to hold back straight - from the pole head - the
horse
swings out a bit, so he can hold back straight - from the pole head.  But
since you come from drafthorse driving, I suspect you are using a yoke, so then
the above would not apply. Then I can only imagine that he must have anything
uneven in his body which makes it more comfortable for him to use his right
cheek for holding back. So yes, I would switch him to see what happens on the
other side.
Hardy