[drivingpairs] Re: More questions about shoeing

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:17:08 -0600

  <What experience have you folks had with the
unshod on asphalt? >

Smithy,

Shoeing is a personal preference.   Personally, I prefer to keep mine
barefooted.   They are Arabs and also have great feet.   I have found the
bare feet to do just fine on pavement.   If you are thinking of letting your
horses go barefooted, and plan to be driving often, you might look into some
of the new non-metal shoes, such as Easy Boots, Old Macs or the others now
on the market.

As for using borium (and I don't want to open up a "can of worms" here), it
can create some leg problems if not applied properly....but that's a whole
other issue.  I know there are some excellent farriers on this list.
Hopefully, we'll hear from them on this issue.

Helen