[drivingpairs] More questions about shoeing

  • From: JMSmithy549@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:14:50 EST

Hello Folks,
I am a lurker who loves to follow the great advice, tips and general info
generated by the questions ana answers from the beginners and the experienced.
have been dabbling in the driving discipline for just a few years.
While I don't have the money to support the habit, I have been hanging around
the folks who do just to glean some of the excitement and to keep my foot in
the door (who knows, I may hit the lottery).  I have a young friend with a
barnful of horses including Welsh, Welsh cross, and Hackney cross ponies.  She
is
focusing on driving, having just put together her 1st 4-in-hand.  From time
to time she needs a hand and I am always glad to help as this way I get to play
and learn.  I myself own a small pony which I started and had broke to drive
with the help of a local trainer, just previous to that , for a year leased my
friend's dead-broke Welsh gelding who taught me the basics.  I enjoy
voluteering at the shows (another way to play and learn). I am a novice driver
but
mostly a groupy.
   Today I have a question about shoeing:  I would like my pony to go
barefoot.
He is presently shod with borium in front to prevent slipping on the road.
However, his hoof is quite hard.  What experience have you folks had with the
unshod on asphalt?  Do I need the borium or will the unshod hoof grip just fine?
   Always appreciative,  Smithy in PA