[drivingpairs] Measuring Pole and Yoke

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:13:12 -0800 (PST)

I talked to my husband about how he figured his length
on poles.  He doesn't like a formula with marathon
vehicles, since front end attachments are so varied.
  He starts with vehicle and horse size.  Some
vehicles allow horses to be more closely attached to
vehicle because the hind legs will go under the
vehicle when they trot out.  Other vehicles will not
allow close hitching, because of low evener, splinter
bar, pole attachment or single tree attachment.  Some
vehicles are too narrow for THIS PARTICULAR PAIR of
horses to be hitched close, since legs will hit the
wheels when trotting out.  Other smaller pairs might
be much closer.
  He stands one of the pair in front of vehicle, lifts
and extends hind leg out behind, as far as possible,
like when doing big trot, canter.  How far does hoof
go?  Is it possible to catch the foot on wheel? or any
other low hardware?  Move horse forward, try extension
of leg until there is no chance of him being able to
clip anything of vehicle with hind leg.  Measure
length to chest, mark it in the dirt.  Write it down
too.  Mark where hoofs were best fit, in dirt.  Bring
out the other pair horse and do the same thing.  Start
with first horse marks.  Some horses are more athletic
than partner, so both must be checked.  Go with the
biggest moving horse for length.  Pole extends about
3" past the harnessed horse's chest.  Thick
breastcollars are part of the equation.
  Yoke length is measured from center of chest on both
horses.  Horses are standing beside pole, with barrel,
just touching pole.  Again, go with the bigger horse
chest, so yoke is centered on pole.  Our yoke has snap
shackles on each end.  This will allow about 4" play
between chest ring and yoke end.  Tieing the horses in
tight to pole, (using a too short yoke, pole head on a
too short pole) makes horses automatically pull away
from pole.  Side pull affects their balance.  Horses
and driver are already in conflict, and you have not
even moved.  Driver should be able to adjust reins to
make horses move closer or further away from pole,
without tieing them in.
Yoke fitting goes into the end of pole.  Allows yoke
to swivel, forward and back, up and down.  This will
allow horses to fold the yoke making whole pair
narrower for hazards.  Horses get closer together on
pole as they go around turns.  Streamlines everything.

Our poles are also adjustable, but usually left at
working length.  Might be extended for a new horse
being started, never shortened from working length.
Our horses are all very similar in size and reach, so
we don't have a fitting problem, even changing horses
around.  Might tighten traces a hole, so less play in
harness, for hazard practice or for marathon.  Want
vehicle to respond to horse movement quicker, than
when jogging down the trail.  We practice everything
at working length on pole.  Changing major stuff, like
turnout length, for a competition, doesn't work for
us. We want to practice just like how we plan to go.
No surprises for horses.  All of our previous practice
has made driver attuned to length, turning radius,
capabilities of complete turnout, in the back of
driver mind.  Leaves the faster thinking brain part to
note immediate needs and put the whole picture
together for action.  Changing parts of the equation
of turnout at the last second, makes you have to
REALLY calculate, and you don't have enough time in a
hazard.  It has to be automatic response, from many
previous practices.

Kathy Robertson