[drivingpairs] Marjean's colt nipping

  • From: "Paul or Deryn Stewart" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:51:27 -0500

Marjean, I saw two suggestions in the mail this morning, and I agree with
both.  One was to have an outside side rein (they called it something else)
to prevent the colt from turning his head too much to the inside and being
able to bite.  The other was that, if you have proper contact on the reins,
the colt can't get its head around.  Also, the horses in the pair should
know their names.  They should also by this time in their education know
that if you holler "NO" at them, they have done something really bad.  So
you say their name and NO like you are really upset (which you are).
Hopefully Kord doesn't take offense because you haven't mentioned his name.

ds

Deryn Stewart
Stewarts Driving & Dressage
Ponca City, OK  74604