[drivingpairs] MULTIPLE multiples at Parker CDE

  • From: "Nancy Wright" <nag.hag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:04:35 -0500

I figure you can get the final scores anywhere, but here is a quick run-down of
the really important stuff!
While Darryl attended the Licensed Officials clinic at the High Prairie Farms
CDE in Parker, Colorado, this past weekend, I volunteered and saw the OTHER
side of the Event Office. Quite the eye-opening education! And lots of fun!

A brief inventory of some of the more exceptional multiples: Vic Vicroy's
Roof-seat Break, the Blumenthal's Park Drag and a Hansom Cab. All were
appointed beautifully and drawn by the most impressive of horses. What a treat
to see these wonderful turnouts!

Phil Hanneman's very colorful four-up of mini-bicycles kept Tom Knicker, Bill
Lower and Jamie O'Rourke right busy!   ;-)  I'm sure that the photos of their
Cones competition will be in an upcoming issue of "The Whip." By the way, I
think Bill won quite handily!

As part of the U.S. Cavalry re-enactment activities, a replica stage coach was
drawn by a six-up of rather large horses. Those horses definitely had the
"carriage horse stand" down pat.

A four-in-hand of Fjords owned by Paula Scott and driven by Alex Fraser
COMPETED in P4up (I believe that is the abbreviation for Preliminary Four-Up)
and were awarded not one, but FOUR embroidered trophy coolers. I was amused by
the grooms busily stowing all those bulky coolers on board the vehicle while
they sped away to make their victory pass! Paula must have been just too proud!

Scribing with Major Coonradt at the water hazard was a great assignment for me
on Marathon day! Drew Callahan's very handsome Morgan Horse, Export, was all
business and was done 'n' gone in some 50-odd seconds to score the fastest
time. The four-up of Fjords did the water hazard very well in spite of the
close quarters at the various elements. Although there were a few moments of
misgiving, the leaders took the rig through the four gates and back up the
noisy wooden ramp. Good show!

Most memorable moment of the entire event: Mr. David Remley in coaching livery
calling the entries with his coaching horn. Absolutely lovely. The very
quintessence of the tradition of the sport!

Non-multiple news: I saw an antique gig that I lusted after wildly. At my age,
it's good to lust after ANYTHING!  ;-)

Be well.

Nancy Wright
TIRED FELLOE FARM