[drivingpairs] Just Busy

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Well it is a little cooler here, but still warm during
the day.  I am working with the young horses,
practicing tieing, baby lessons.  Getting a lot of
weed whacking done on the fence line.  I want it all
cleaned out for winter, so I can do a better job next
year.

We have a Traditional Day of Driving at Metamora on
Saturday.  We haven't done one before, so it should be
interesting.  It is going to be held at Audrey Rose's
Squeaky Windmill Farm.  She has had everyone working
all summer to be prepared.  They have groomed trails,
made new ones.  She laughed about getting lost
herself!!  Her facility has just about everything new
in the last couple years.  She built a new
barn/arena/carriage house in the last 18 months.
Really beautiful setup, great property around it too,
planned for her carriage driving.

We don't do a lot of Carriage Driving, so being
dressed up all day, may be strenuous to us!  I am one
of those "dirt magnet" kind of people.  Perhaps if we
just keep driving ALL DAY and I don't get out.....?
We are planning on taking the Team of 4, with husband
to drive, son and me as grooms, small daughter as Lady
Passenger.  Husband thought daughter and son were a
poor size match as grooms, she is 4ft 8in while son is
about 6ft!  She did do a nice job, grooming for him at
Kentucky though, in the Pairs class.  I had to babysit
the harnessed leaders at the trailer, for change of
Pairs to Team class.  We don't have an old Team
vehicle, that looks nice, so will use the Bennington
Dogcart.  It does LOOK traditional.  Last use of the
leather harness and collars for the season.

  We have been doing some driving, down the road, on
cool days.  Husband has been real busy working, so
less time and no energy to drive, too tired.  Finally
starting to slow down for him.  I will pack the stuff
in truck tomorrow.  For one day, should go quickly.
They were clipped and shod this week.  We will wash
horses late in the day, to be ready to leave early
Sat. AM.  About 1 1/2 drive, then be ready to go by
9AM.  It will be a real change of pace from CDE!

Sunday if it doesn't rain, we have hay coming.  This
is only second cutting!  No rain in July.  The farmer
is spraying it with a drying preservative, so he can
bale it quicker.  I know we fed less bales last year,
horses stayed looking good on less hay quantity.
Smelled a little like vinegar, but horses liked it
fine.  Really nice hay, stays nice, but HEAVY!  His
bales are all the same size, but sprayed ones are from
70-90 pounds instead of about 50 pounds plain, all
grass hay.  This will be about half our winter supply.
 We picked up a flatbed trailer, so we can really load
it up, saving trip time, more bales on each load.
Sure is an improvement over the pickup truck and stock
trailer or hay wagons.

Should be a fun-filled, action packed weekend!!

Kathy Robertson