[drivingpairs] Re: Intro

  • From: "Lori Harris" <loriki@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:34:00 -0800

Howdy everyone;

What Katie Blake neglected to identify herself as was the winner of the People's Choice Award at the 2002 Frederic, Wisconsin Sleigh Rally in 2002 -- her picture driving a pair to a sleigh is the January 2003 of Bob Mischka's Driving Horse Calendar!!

You go girl!!

Lori K. Gibson-Harris
Duane Q. Harris
PO Box 558
Oakville WA 98568
360-858-8030
www.GibsonRidgeFarm.com
Hackney Horses/Crossbreds

From: Katie Blake <ktrblake@xxxxxxxxx>
To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [drivingpairs] Intro
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:13:37 -0600

Hi Driving Pairs Listers,

I've just happily stumbled onto you.   What a great way to share ideas and
learn.

I'm a 29-year-old whip from the blustery north of western Wisconsin.  We've
been enjoying the snow up here for sleigh parades galore this winter!

I grew up with horses, began driving when I was 10 and learned a lot showing
in 4-H. My first Pleasure Driving Competition was in 1997 at the Villa
Louis Carriage Classic in Prairie du Chien, WI. My parents and I have been
going there and to the Columbus Carriage Classic in Columbus, WI, ever
since.

We started with singles and not long after began putting together pairs and
experimenting with multiples (but not tandems yet!) with whatever horses we
had available.  In 2003, we put our Arabs together three-abreast to a
wagonette at the Columbus show and had a blast - especially in cones!

We are now driving a pair of young Morgan brothers - Pecatonica Pride and
Pecatonica King, from southern WI. Driving, especially experimenting and
learning as we go, has been so much fun, even though the learning part hurts
sometimes...

Driving has been a really fun way to spend time with my parents, and the
terrific gang of our extended "driving family" that's been expanding
throughout the region.

I'm finishing up a late college degree, but will be done in May and HOPE
that I will have time to go to every driving clinic and learning opportunity
in the state! Also hope to purchase appropriate vehicles (used) and
harness and start competing at CDE's.

I will be taking advantage of this question-asking opportunity and soaking
up all the information posted. I need lots of help! I'm not even sure what
questions to begin asking!

If anyone's got advice about virtual pairs driving or visualization training
that I can do until I can get back home to the horses.... :-)
(videos?)

Looking forward to the daily driving talk!

~Katie Blake