[drivingpairs] Re: Information and Advice Requested

  • From: "Merrie Morgan Stevens" <roadrunner-ranch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:44:46 -0700

Hi Bruce,

I have no experience with Shetland ponies but my 12.0hh Welsh ponies do
quite well in CDE's and are just a blast to drive.  I have a pony, Ruger,
who weights aprox 550# who competes at the advanced level, he pulls 550# of
weight, a Puddle Jumper made by Russ Hardwick that weighs 251# and 300#
worth of whip and navigator.  I have paired him up with his 3/4 brother,
Ripcord, and will be taking them to their first training level CDE the
beginning of August (then Henry Boyd Memorial CDE).  We will be using the
Puddle Jumper for all three phases.  They are very green as a pair (and I am
very green as a pair driver) but they are coming along pretty nicely, and
I'm hoping to move them up the levels over the next several years.  I bought
my Puddle Jumper new - Russ is a great guy to work with and he puts out a
wonderful marathon vehicle.  I wasn't able to find a used vehicle that I
thought was light enough - it had to be light enough for my single pony, not
just the pair - and it was difficult finding a maker who was able or willing
to try to make a very light vehicle.  Best of luck with your new driving
endeavors.

Merrie Morgan Stevens
Ridgecrest, CA