[drivingpairs] Hoof Boots

  • From: "Ansley" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:34:41 -0500

I had to smile when I saw the topic because I have spent the last three years
researching hoof boots.  The types of boots all of you are describing are
considered pleasure/competitive/recreational boots and are to be used with
barefoot horses . There are actually boots out there specifically to be worn
with shod horses. There are also two other categories of boots and these
include Medicinal and Therapeutic.  These are just some (not all) of the the
pleasure/competitive/recreational boots: Shoof, Equiboot, Horsesneakers,
Hoofwings, Old Macs,Swiss Boots, Boa Boots, Marquis, Toledo. Horse Mocs,
Easyboot, Easyboot Epic, Easyboot Bare. Remember that I said this is some but
not all. The Boas, Easyboots, and Marquis can all be studded which might be
some advantage in competition or on icy surfaces. Horsneakers are the only ones
that I know that are custom made to fit a mini to a draft horse .
www.horsneaker.com (no s in url). Now I have three driving horses and have used
Easyboots, Easyboot Epics, Marquis, Boas, Horsesneakers, Swiss , Old Macs and
Horse Mocs. My tack room has more pairs of hoof boots than saddles and
harnesses combined. Each of these afore mentioned boots have their pros and
cons and there is no perfect hoof boot. You have to ask yourself several
questions before buying hoof boots: What is the shape of my horses hoof? Have I
just transitioned to barefoot? Am I riding or driving? Do I do long distance or
go out for short drives? What kind of surface will I be driving on. How many
horses do I need to boot? Do I need boots both for front and back? or Do I need
boots at all? (key question)

Fortunately for all of us there is a large selection of boots out there. If you
want to read more about many of these boots go to
www.naturalhorsetrim.com/section_18.htm. The other exciting news is in that
section there is a large listing of used hoof boots at reduced prices for those
interested in trying some.

Just a quick response to two questions. Hi Nilda , the Marquis are excellent
boots and if you can get them adjusted with the air pump do fit well. They can
be resurfaced and the company is great to work with. That airpump adjustment
can be tricky and take some time resulting in a possible rub initially or
losing a boot. As to the pressure on the Boa boots at the coronary band. I have
found the Old Mac gaiters to be the perfect solution for the Boa Boot. You
don't have to tighten the boot so hard against the band and the neoprene and
fitted bulbs in the gaiter help to prevent rubs much better than the Boa
Gaiters themselves. I am also going to try some Old Mac pads in the Boa boots
to lift the hoof slightly .

Ansley