[drivingpairs] Hitching A Pair

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:25:32 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, reading the order of hitching is scary on some of
these posts.  Just hasn't happened yet.

  We follow the Coaching methods, horses paying
attention to holder.  One holder per each 2 horses.
Reins, pole straps or chains, then traces.  We do
outside trace first, because we were taught that way,
to keep rumps from swinging out. Reach behind horse
and attach the inside trace.  Don't get in there,
reach.  Yes we have large horses, but not drafts.
Still can reach.

Pole strap before trace, ALWAYS.  Horse can stop
carriage with pole straps.  Attached pole strap won't
allow carriage to hit horse in the rump if it should
roll forward.  Can't stop carriage with only traces
attached, though he can move vehicle forward.

Anyplace away from home we use more care.  Extra safe
in procedures.

Safety is MOST important when hitching or unhitching a
set of horses, any configuration.  Handlers need to be
paying attention to the animals.  Horses should be
obedient to handler, not have wandering attention,
sightseeing.  Holders need lead ropes to the equine
head, not depend on reins for grasping the animal.
One big head toss can rip reins from your hand, loss
of control.  Inattention by holder or horse, can lead
to bad situations, then major trouble.

Our horses are led to stationary vehicle, one at a
time, stood in correct places with holder, then
attached in the described manner, Reins, pole straps,
traces.  Holder moves away, clear, AFTER driver is
seated, has reins, whip, lap robe, passengers seated,
EVERYTHING ready to go.

  Unhooking is done in reverse.  Holder or groom at
horse heads with leads attached, passengers off,
driver off.  Traces removed by second person, then
pole straps off, then reins uncoupled.  Horses are
then EACH taken by their own person, turned sharply
sideways away from pole to leave at the same time.
NOT walked forward as in a harnessed departure for
"walk on".  We want horse removal in multiples
DIFFERENT than driving forward.  They are used to
moving together, will likely move as you start the
other horse away.  Forward could allow horse/harness
to catch on pole head, yoke, leader bars, create a
problem.  So do the moving-away-turn as a directive,
not allow moving to be a disobedience.

  Horses want to be together, don't get them excited
by seeing one horse leaving him.  We then lead them
together to where we will unharness.  Easier on
everyone's stress levels if you think of these 2
horses as one unit.  Pair thinking, will keep them
happy together when away from home.  They are Pairs,
whether Wheelers, Leaders or just 2 horses driven as a
Pair.  We also treat our Tandem as a Pair when doing
things with them at shows, kept, led, washed,
harnessed together.

We never bring horses to vehicles as a
harnessed-together Pair.  NEVER have them step over a
pole.  I know it is common with drafts, but I have
seen many problems with horses jerking each other
around, tripping on pole to get in place, pole
BREAKING with damage from repeated shoe spikings.
  Drop pole for buggy is much more slender, breakable
than a wagon pole if horse steps on it.

  Does take more people for light horse, carriage
style of putting horses to vehicle.

Kathy Robertson