[drivingpairs] Re: Heidi

  • From: "Alpenland Haflingerhof" <alpenhof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:56:20 -0700

Hi Sharon,

The reason they serve Schnapps is because the ladies who ride in the back of
the wagons carry with them a little "kit" of schnapps and homemade cookies
to give out to friends & relatives at the top of the hill in the churchyard.
The wagons all make their way through town to the churchyard, and then they
park en masse on the lawn around the church (imagine 80 wagons & 320
horses).  The spectators then visit their friends and relatives in the
wagons and are offered the schnapps (to warm them) and the cookies (to feed
them) after the priest blesses the participants and their horses (St.
Leonhard is the patron saint of horses & livestock).

There are many of these processions throughout Bavaria, Austria and even
Northern Italy, so if one plans carefully, one can experience more than one
in a single trip.  They are all slightly different, and the Tölzer (Bad
Tölz) Leonhardifahrt is the most formal.  There, no women are allowed to
ride or work in any way with the horses, they must ride in the wagons.  In
others, the women are at least allowed to ride.  It must rattle their cages
that I drive my own teams in our parades, lol.

They do serve Glühwein in town at the various Gasthäuser, so we usually get
some, in addition to the Schnapps.  I am certainly not a heavy drinker, but
if you could see the mist in the photos, you can probably guess that it is
cold and damp, and after standing for hours out there, the Schnapps burns
off in seconds...

Thanks for writing and sharing your experiences.  Anytime you want a good
Glühwein, you can come and visit our restaurant , the Andreas Keller, in our
little German town of Leavenworth.  It´s very traditional!

Heidi Forchemer
Leavenworth WA
www.andreaskellerrestaurant.com