[drivingpairs] Hay price savings idea

  • From: Dan & Deb Cole <woodlawn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:03:43 -0500

Seems that there is quite a difference in prices for hay throughout
the regions. You might try what I do to cut down on the price.To feed
my 4 driving pairs and all of the others ( there thats pair driving
related ) I have found I can save alot if I store it myself. At the
beginning of the cutting season, I let our local grower here in North
Florida know to call me when he is baling. If he doesn't have to pay
laborers to handle the hay with stacking it on the trucks and then
unloading and re-stacking it back at the storage barns, that's money
he is saving and time as well. He will call me and I drive my stock
trailer right into the field and they load it up for $2.50 a bale. He
will also deliver up to 20  700 lb.rolls at a time for $25.00 each.
This is nice fertilized and weeded hay as he is the supplier for the
three Dairies in the county.When I get 60 rolls for the winter, I
have a considerate horsey neighbor that brings his tractor over with
a hay spike and lines it all up for me on pallets, to tarp, from
where they dump it and charges me one roll of hay for the service!
Aren't horse people great!! If you ask your local farmer, you might
be able to work something out advantageous to both of you.