[drivingpairs] Harness Options on Multiples

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:41:02 -0800 (PST)

We use Tedman harness for the pair and team.  We told
them what we wanted and they used our measurements.
There is not really anything we would want changed.
It is the same pattern we have used thru three sets of
harness for different horses.  Was the same for our
first pair harness.  We looked at a lot of pictures,
observed horses at work in CDE driving.  There is a
reason majority of drivers have certain items, or
doesn't!
  Tedman is a soft nylon fabric and leather, harness.
Has stood up to VERY hard wear for about seven years
now.  We like it's very light weight and strength a
lot.  Big plus is washable.  Extremely nice stainless
hardware.
  Things we order on harness: breastcollar neck
support straps to run thru the chest ring.
Martingales, European neckstrap rings, wide saddles,
no breeching, leather cruppers, very wide, padded,
pair breastcollars.  Breastcollars have buckle in
traces.  We have extra traces, with both snap-shackles
and Ds for two kinds of marathon vehicles.  Leader
traces are longer.  Hip straps for leader traces.
Leather padding on breastcollars comes off.  Wheelers
need extra rein terret on saddles for leader reins.
Rein rings for wheeler bridles to carry leader reins.
We do not use roger rings on the browband.
  We have Achenbach reins for the pair.  Driver
measured the horses, vehicle, and told her how long to
make the reins and couplers on all three sets of
reins, Achenbach pair, wheeler reins and leader reins
for team.  He doesn't use Achenbach reins on the team,
buckles seem to get in the way too much for speedy
rein changes.  Pole straps to match.  We do have two
extra bridles with cup blinkers that worked very well
on one pair of horses.  Present horses like the bigger
blinkers.  Tedman reins are a special weave, not
slippy or grabby, very nice in rain, cold, but do blow
in the wind, pull horses a little.  Horses NOTICE when
you change back to leather, which we do in spring.
  Love the low upkeep.  Able to put four saddles and
breastcollars in one bag for transport, without
killing yourself picking it up.
  We also have leather harness.  Seldom use it
anymore. Just seems to be more work, HEAVY.  I do like
the looks of leather and how it feels, but is not as
easy to use.
The nylon has not sored or rubbed anyone, and they are
sensitive skinned.
  Measuring correctly, pictures with writing, are a
big aid with harness makers.  Both of you understand
the terms used.  Our horses are large, so proportions
are different.  This is where measuring gets
important.
Our horses girth at about 80" to 84".  All have very
short backs, but huge length from one side of saddle
to chest to other side of saddle.  Important, to have
breastcollar trace buckles behind saddle, not on it.
Also placing of rings on breastcollars on chest.  We
have two locations, for pole straps and neck yoke
clips.  Measure heads, noseband sizes, browband,
throatlatch lengths.  Variation on a team will often
surprise you.  Shaped bridle crowns with sidecheck
rings are a good feature if available.  You can use
the little ring for a lot of things, like decorations,
or sidecheck if you have a "diver."  We always order
hardware in stainless.  Stronger, less work.
  Can't think of anything else, that we wished we had
gotten.  Putting so much thought into the first one,
made the others easier.  The leather ones we ordered
with these same features when we started.  Good
synthetics were not available then.

Kathy Robertson