[drivingpairs] Harness Adjustments

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:57:17 EST

In a message dated 11/30/2002 11:05:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> "If I have, for training purposes, a very experienced horse, and a young
> total greenie, and I want the experienced horse to do most of, if not all
> of, the pulling, and just have the greenie pretty much in "bondage," but
> not really pulling, is there some best way to adjust the harness to
> accomplish this? "

Yes, easy: That's what we have our rein buckles for, the buckles with which
the coupling reins are attached to the draft reins. Go and read some books
and study the proper use of a pair rein (best the Achenback rein system, well
explained in many good books, for example the new one "The Principles of
Driving - by the German National Equestrian Federation, available through
ADS, CAA as well as many others now) it's all explained in there, ansd these
items I think are a MUST READ for anybody wanting to start pair driving, but
here quickly: You want to take the buckle on the old horse BACK one or two
holes, which shortens the coupling rein to the young horse, AND at the same
time you want to move the buckle on the young horse forward one or two holes
(same amount of holes as on the other rein)  which shortens then the draft
rein on the yong horse. Thus you have then shortened both reins of the young
horse and by the same token have lengthened both reins of the old horse. So
the young horse is held back by you automatically a bit and the old horse is
given more room to go forward and step out (and do the pulling). You do NOT
want an evener, or if you have one, you want to set it fixed. If you want to
do even more than just the rein adjustment, you can also losen the traces of
the young horse by one hole.

>   "What can best be done to safely, temporarily, convert a single harness to
> a pair harness (keeping in mind that I have, at this moment, personally
> never used a pair harness)? "

Hard to say from here without knowing how your single harness looks. My
sugestion: Just take the new pair harness and compare it to your single
harness and then see what you are missing or need.  But again here, since it
seems you are NEW to all of this, and pair driving. Get somebody with pair
experience to give you a hand, or better yet, take some pair driving lessons
first.
Good luck
Hardy