[drivingpairs] Gullet strap & Roger Rings

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:31:31 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2006 11:06:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The gullet strap is a VERY good idea!  Thanks.  By chin strap do  you mean
> the throatlatch?
>

> I think that the rings hanging from the straps attached to  the loops of the
>
> crown were too small for the reins to move very  freely.

Do not make the throatlatch to tight, then the pony cannot get "round", but
do keep the noseband snug. Do use a gullet strap, then there is no need for a
tight throatlatch, and with the gulet strap the bridle functions just like a
halter and cannot be pulled off even with a lose throatlatch. Try it and you'll
see.

The Roger Rings should be large so the leader reins can run through them
easily. I do not like the traditional Roger Rings which we often see for
tandems
welded onto the rosette that holds the browband. The problem with those is that
in a turn it pulls the inside rosette off the head sideways. I also do not
like to have Roger Rings attached to the loops which are sewn on the
crownpieces
of  some bridles for sidecheck reins. They also pull too high o the
crownpiece. Instead  I much prefer the Roger Rings which are on a short strap
and
buckle into the throatlatch buckle. They can't pull the bridle off. (And for
starters at home, you can just use two large key rings and tie them to the
throatlatch buckles by bailing twine)
Hardy