[drivingpairs] Ground Driving

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:43:08 EST

As Suzan also pointed out already, I don't think it is a good plan to start a
young hourse GROUND DRIVING in a pair in order to keep him calm. Perhaps my
previous comments may have been misunderstood, when I advocate starting a horse
in a pair, but that means, starting him DRIVING in a pair, meaning first time
he is hitched ! But by that time all other work has to be completed, like
ground driving him single, etc etc. When he does all of that well, ok, then you
can ground drive him also a couple of times in a pair, no harm there, before
hitching in the pair to the carriage, but also there for ground driving in a
pair you MUST know what you are doing and MUST know how to drive a pair, as you
have less control over them walking behind them, then having them in front of a
carriage. So I suggest to take pair driving lessons first.
Hardy