[drivingpairs] Four in Hand

  • From: MUMBLIN MULE <target@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:44:32 -0700

I've been lurking along the edges of this TANDEM discussion.
Several years ago At the International Draft Horse show in Sandpoint, Idaho.
I was elected to fill in as the armature driver in the 4 up class. (I had driven 4 only one other time on a snow road with a feed sleigh in Jackson, Wyoming). I did okay even drove around the cones of the figure 8. I even made a perfect stop in alignment with the cone where I needed to back up the length of the wagon and then proceed.
As I pulled the lines I shortened the leaders instead of the wheelers and the leaders turned right back along side of the wheelers as we backed up.
I told everyone the leaders were just checking to see where we needed to back up to.

It was a good learning experience since no one was hurt and it was EXCITING to feel all that extra power.
BUT please practice line changes BEFORE you get in a show ring.

Dell M. Mangum
TARGET POLYPAYS
"pure bred sheep since 1978 and Shire Horses since last Saturday"
Blackfoot, Idaho