[drivingpairs] Re: Fellow Tandemaniacs

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:58:21 -0700

Hi Debra

A couple of observations.  For a tandem, the driver needs to sit higher in order
to be able to see what the leader is doing.  this is extremely hard from a
vehicle such as a road cart.  If you have looked at the tandem album on my
Picturetrail albums, you will note that I use a modified HiRider cart.  I also
use the same cart for driving single, as I prefer to sit higher anyway.  I have
even used that cart in the marathon phase of a CDE, although I do not recommend
it.  There are several shots of my tandem in CDE's put to a couple of different
marathon vehicles, all four wheeled.  This is common in the UK and in Europe.

If you note the front page pictures on the Pairs List home page, you will note
that we put the random to a Bell Crown four wheeled marathon vehicle.

In a pleasure show, the two wheeled is traditional, and except possibley for a
four wheeled Dog Cart, I suspect one would be marked down for four wheels.

With the range in horse size you are talking about, I think it will be VERY hard
to find one vehicle that will meet your needs.  You might try getting a second
set of wheels. It is not hard to swap wheels, and that might solve your dilemma.

FWIW

Jay E Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good
with ketchup.

And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!