[drivingpairs] Enterin Pairdom

  • From: JLO <cicera65@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DrivingPairs <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:45:06 -0800 (PST)

Kathy's advice is FANTASTIC. It's so easy for the old owner to say
"ohhh piece of cake". Meanwhile we do a million little things we
aren't aware of that we have learned just by doing. Every pair, every
single for that matter, has their own patterns, habits and even
annoying behavior. We, the owners, kind of unconsciously deal with
these things totally unaware we are doing so. When dealing with a
pair you aren't only dealing with one anima's personality, it's two
and many times they are VERY different types.

For new pairs drivers (not that I'm an old experienced one by any
stretch) the one thing you will have to really think about is NOT
correcting the Right horse with the Right rein or the Left horse with
the Left rein. It's an automatic response. One sees the left horse
being naughty and automatically thinks "I'll just fix that" pulling
on the left rein. All that does is turn the WHOLE pair left. I've
found one must be generous in their "giving". In other words the
entire contact for turns and transisitions (especially upward) are
much more generous. There is a lot more "play" in the steering.

I've been going back and forth between conditioning Comet (single
Cob) and playing with the pair. I have to remind myself each time to
really think about what I'm doing. What behaviors am I accidently
causing? When the pair comes together it's just beautiful. You're
going down the road and you can only hear ONE set of hooves trotting
even though there are two ponies in front of you.

I have found this pair thing to be a constantly changing entity. Just
when you think you've made every adjustment possible, some dynamic
changes and you are re adjusting once again. It takes a bit of
patience and thought, but when it comes together WHOA BOY is it
rewarding and HUGE, Gigantic, enormous FUN FUN FUN.

Great advice Kathy,

Jodi in Morriston FL