[drivingpairs] Chewing on Partners

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:17:00 -0800 (PST)

A little behind on posts.  When our leader started
chewing on her partner, she had been used for a long
time driving, 5-6 years.  During that time she had
done single, Pairs, and Team.  She just got so
aggravated at this particular partner in the leader
position, when working or under stress, that she would
reach over and start grabbing her partners neck.
Never chewed on same horse as a Pair.  Bit her
regardless of being right or left side horse.  We
tried the side tie, side-rein stuff, nothing worked.
She did it when driver had his hands busy in turns or
other quick work.  The side reins interferred with
directions from the driver, did not allow correct
turns.  It was more than we could manage to correct
her erratic biting, and not lose the rest of the Team
while trying to practice hazards or Dressage.

We had a copy of the old Horse in Sport-Driving which
shows George Bowman driving the Lippizans.  In it his
stallion wears a muzzle.  I thought about and husband
agreed to try it.  I made one out of black parachute
cord and we hung it from her cavesson.  Worked swell!
Not constricting, fit over the bit sides to snug up,
but allowed bit to work correctly.  We figured she
could spit on her partner all she wanted, just not get
a grip.  The other horse had been non-reactive up to
this point, but was the dominant horse of the field.
I didn't want to think how she would react if the
other one really bit her hard!!  We used the muzzle on
that horse for about 3 years and it was a great tool.
Used it every time we drove as a Team.  Judges usually
didn't even notice until close inspection, and we were
never marked down for it.  They all thought it was a
good design, quite interesting.  We retired the muzzle
when the partner was retired from the Team.  Horse
still is a leader in our Team, but never offers to
bite anymore.  Biting was only a problem with one
partner, in Team, as leaders, when horse was under
stress.

This is something to consider if the biting seems to
be otherwise unstoppable.

Kathy Robertson