[drivingpairs] Carriage Driving Hungarian style

  • From: "Helen Roeder" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:52:35 -0600

Clear DayWhen I first started driving, I learned there was a Hungarian =
style of driving.  Having Hungarian grandparents, I decided to learn =
more about it.   I contacted the Hungarian we all know and love, Leslie =
Koseley, who sold me a pair of Hungarian driving lines....real =
Hungarian.  Then he sold me the Hungarian Driving Style book that Hardy =
spoke about.    Shortly thereafter,  I studied with an experienced pairs =
driver who used Hungarian driving lines too.    I drove Hungarian style =
for many years.   Occasionally, I'd switch back to English lines, but =
mostly drove with my Hungarian lines.   Here's my observations:

It takes more skill to use the Hungarian lines.  Not  because you drive =
each horse separately, but because you must train yourself NOT to.   Of =
course, it is handy to have that option.   For a woman with small hands, =
there's twice the amount of leather to hold onto and manipulate....all =
four lines.   I had narrower lines made.   Still had to manipulate four =
lines.   Driving with all four lines, you still have to keep the lines =
to the horses even, and sometimes  you end up with  bunched lines =
because the coupling buckle is in the wrong place.  Yes, you can quickly =
even them up by manually (in hand) letting out or pulling in a rein, =
then stopping to move the buckle.  BUT, do we want to adjust the reins =
to the horse, or teach the horse to adjust to driving evenly with his =
partner?    Good question.   I'm still trying to learn the answer. =20

My opinion is that you can do the same thing with English lines, it's =
just a different approach.   Probably Achenback lines are a happy =
medium....the coupling buckle is close enough to move from the seat and =
you still only hold two lines in your hands.   As for me, I can now tell =
all  my Hungarian relatives I drive my horses Hungarian Style.   =20

My opinion is if you want to learn to drive Hungarian style, do it.   =
It's one more way to drive a pair.  Knowledge is good.  Go for it!

Helen

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: Helen Roeder.vcf