[drivingpairs] Busy Busy

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 06:52:45 -0700 (PDT)

We are also among the driving, not posting folks.  It
has been raining the last couple days, so I have
gotten everything fairly caught up.  Giving the horses
a couple days off too.  Just need a break from
conditioning and practice.
  We have a CDE coming up in another week, so have to
get all the stuff packed up.  I am a little ahead on
that, since we had a practice session last week.  Got
to drive and be inspected for safety, get scored in
dressage and cones.  Just having to be packed up, got
the trailer ready, located all the put-away for
winter, stuff.  It was even a NICE day, sunny and
cool.
  With weather so cool, we have not body clipped
horses yet.  Not sure we will. Can't decide.  If we
don't, for sure the temps will be in the 90's!  If we
do, weather will continue 50's-60's.  Last year's
marathon there was pretty cool temps, didn't even
throw water on the horses at vet check.  I had so much
extra time, I didn't know what to do!  I think the big
clippers will be coming out pretty quick though!
Don't you just love an orange horse?
  Three of the four have new shoes, Indy gets hers
tonight.  Some mane trimming today, just a little
shorter.

  Has anyone got a favorite packing box besides the
Rubbermaid, in six sizes?  It is always interesting to
see what other folks use.  I have seen some amazing
ideas, racks, hooks, boxes used.  We always try to
check out other trailers for new ideas.  The bridle
and chap bags western folks use, are REALLY nice for
driving bridles.  Padded, deep, front to back, and
long enough to not bend the bitted bridle.  The
different brands will feature various methods of
attaching bridle to top.  I like the buckle strap
method best, strongest with 4 driving bridles.
Bridles are a little too heavy for velcro.  Velcro is
nice on the pair and team reins.  You can get some bag
models with several, 2-3, loops with velcro fasteners.
 Allows eack long rein to have it's own hanger.  Keeps
reins neat, seperate for pulling out.  We have about 6
of these kinds of bags to haul bridles and reins in.
I use the "fancy" white duct tape and label the
outside of bag with contents.  Makes it much easier to
grab the correct one.  Maybe if we had LESS of them, I
could do it by color!!  With 4 of us, all looking for
things at various times, labels are good!  But with
riding bridles for jog out, leather driving bridles,
marathon bridles, leather reins, leader and wheeler,
web reins, leader and wheeler, spare bridles (in case
something breaks), these bags work pretty well!
Dufflebag suitcases with wheels, work nicely for the
harness.  Nylon marathon harness goes in a padded,
western saddle bag.

Sure glad we have the big trailer.  Accessories needed
are worse than just hauling the horses!  I have pared
stuff down, keep checking if there is something we can
remove.  Stuff left, is things that get used.  Maybe
not every trip, but have come in VERY handy, more than
once.  There is some kind of magic mathematical
formula, that multiplies geometrically, when you move
up from one horse.  You don't just double your stuff,
there is MUCH more than that needed.

Anyone have any great packing tips, special methods
they have developed?  Unique holders of equipment they
have found?  I can always use some new ideas.

Kathy Robertson