[drivingpairs] Bolting

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:16:46 -0500

I will share with you a story about a horse I had who would bolt.  He was a
single driving horse that the judges loved.  He was long listed.  About
every six months, he would run with me.  Always on the roads around home.  A
certain vehicle noise seemed to set him off, but the last time it was just
the sight of a UPS truck who stopped when he saw us.  Between these runs, he
was the model citizen.  I kept thinking my training had got us past the
running.  However, it kept happening.  The last time (run No. 5), I said,
"No more."  He was never hitched again.  He was given too a non driving home
with the agreement that he wouldn't be driven.  I was lucky that nobody was
hurt during these episodes.  There are too many nice horses out there to
mess with one that isn't suited for the job.  Driving is dangerous enough as
it is.

Deryn Stewart in Oklahoma