[drivingpairs] Barefoot Horses

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 06:38:13 -0600

I had a couple or three horses all about the same time who worked barefoot very
well.  Good feet.  At the same time, I had a young Hanoverian mare I was just
starting under saddle.  She never seemed sore, just not real enthusiastic about
her work.  When we started to get ready for her first CDE (fall 2004), I put
shoes on her.  All of a sudden I had a much nicer moving horse.  This spring I
tried her barefoot again.  Same thing.  Didn't move as well and lost her
ambition.  Obviously she is more comfortable with shoes.  I have told my
farrier not to let my change my mind and try her barefoot again [grin].

Deryn Stewart