[drivingpairs] Re: Babies, was Matching Horses In Pairs

  • From: Linda <equyne2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:12:57 -0800 (PST)

I agree totally about lots of time outdoors with other babies.  Indeed my 3
weanlings are outdoors all day everyday.  However, I don't see anything wrong
with handling them and exposing them to some of the same sights and sounds that
will be a huge part of their adult life.  Just as human children learn things
very early, man has learned to imprint foals.  I believe that imprinting goes
on past those first few hours of life and continue to expose them one or two
times per week to dragging cans, having a tire or small cart pulled behind
them, and learning manners.  I take one with me when I go out for a walk around
the farm or should I need to go work on fence or something.  He can stand tied
while I work and be exposed to being away from the security of his pals.  The
other night I had to go trip the well pump that has been acting up.  It
required a walk in the dark through the edge of the woods and I took my oldest
weanling colt with me.  He was an amazing gentleman while I walked to the back
door to get the flashlight and then through the trees over to the wellhouse.
He waited for me to do my thing and them back to the barn we went.  I have
raised warmbloods for 14 years now and don't do much with them until they are 3
or 4 as far as riding goes.  I let the individual tell me when he is ready but
I have also learned that, just as with teenage children, you don't wait to
start the discipline when they are teens.  It starts with age appropriate
behavior from day one.  Perhaps I have had too many Developmental and Family
counseling classes in grad school but I am a firm believer that learning starts
early and there is nothing wrong with an appropriate kindergarten education.

Linda Cochran

Ocala, FL