[drivingpairs] Re: Ansel and Adam

  • From: Dynasorz@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:36:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2006 8:54:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
seavilla.Mike@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The essential element that I donât think has been mentioned here about â
bucking backâ is that you are using an evener!!
It will not work as intended with out it. An Evener is pivoted in the center
so as one horse moves forward the single tree of the slower horse moves back,
hopefully putting him in draft also. Now with a couple of pulleys and a little
ingenuity you can rig the reverse effect on the slow horse as well to
encourage him to move up, although I donât recommend using them both at the
same
time!
Good Luck and Take Care!
Okay. This is the type help I was hoping for. Think of the buckback as a Y.
The info I have is to attach the "forks" of the buckback --- one side to each
side halter ring of the faster horse. The long end of the Y then clips to a
trace hook on the single tree of the slower horse--thus the faster horse meets
with "drag" when he moves too far forward--because he is pulling the slow
horse's singletree forward on the evener with his nose. If he backs off from
that,
they are even and he feels no drag.

The same thing would be accomplished if I had a long leadrope attached to the
halter, and everytime I saw him move foward, I pulled back on the leadline.
When he backed off, I'd offer him slack. Essentially, this is what the evener
would be doing automatically if I hooked it up right.

Is that the way you see it? Have you seen this done?

(I think I'll pass on the pulleys as one concept at a time is about all I can
handle <<GRIN>>)

Thanks,
Carla
Walland, TN