[drivingpairs] Age--Work and Lessons

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:25:21 -0800 (PST)

This has sure been an interesting discussion!

I would like to agree with Merrie, Hardy and Claudia,
about building the whole animal.  Starts when they are
young, daily lessons in being a good horse citizen.
Hardy is correct that you have a hard time with the
horse who is large, older, never worked with, and
suddenly pulled out "to learn things".  Scary!
  Taking them sightseeing, like Merrie said, just
having expectations as Claudia said, is the way you
build the experience base.  A horse who can stand for
a bath, is accepting of straps tickling, willing to
look at the new stuff he is presented.  A horse who is
worked with a calm friend, led down the trail, LIKES
to go see new things.

  We start when horses are babies, have baby lessons,
leading, brushing, stand square for 30 seconds!
Handled daily.  Expectations go up as they age.  We
also prefer riding training, before the driving.  We
also lay over them at late 2, ride a little as threes,
but don't expect much.  They have been saddled,
English and Western, ponied around stirrups swinging,
sacked out.  Get a bit to wear while eating.  They
learn legs, leg pressure signals, bending big curves,
follow the bit.  Babies are silly, so much new stuff
to see.  I would rather ride a spook thru the ditch,
than try to drive it!
  Merrie is correct that we usually don't have the
large, quiet fields to ride in anymore.  Our road in
front gets pretty busy in warm weather.  Hikers, bike
riders, skaters, motorcycles share it with us.  We are
lucky enough to have cattle down the road who run to
our fence, pheasants flying out of the grass, geese
honking, landing and taking off, ditch ducks explode
out.  Yard decorations, large rocks, were the worst
for one horse we had.  I do admit to opening my own
eyes at some of the outfits the cement geese wear!
Changes daily!

   Blinkers are nice, but I don't want to count on
them for preventing frights.  I want horse accepting
of strange, new things.  Look really hard, but LISTEN
TO ME!!
  Like doing his beginner dragging work, he can see
tires, cart, knows stuff is there, works fine anyway.

I consider the above stuff to be lessons, learning.
Work is regular, planned, physical effort, that may
produce tiredness!  He may be doing some work, then
the level of effort is increased a bit, to raise his
fitness, build his physical strengths.  This is where
the easy, earlier walks, rides, pasture running, has
made him somewhat athletic, hardened his bones and
hooves.  The mile walk out, then trot for 1/4 mile,
then walk again for his return home.  You practice his
relaxed walk, working walk, extended walk.  The trot
is just getting him regular, at this basic stage.
Slow speed lets him see things clearly, less likely to
get sudden spooks.  He still gets the helpful bone
concussion needed to harden his bones, strengthen his
body, but all very gradual.  That old saying about "A
lot of wet saddle blankets, make a good working horse"
comes in here.  True enough in my experience!

  Old school trainers, Western and English, had
developmental levels that built a horse up to the
final product.  It was planned to take several years.
Each year built on the knowledge, muscle and bone from
previous work, adding more strengths.  Even if horse
was capable of spinning, or passage, did not mean his
skelton was.  Spade bit "bridle horses" were a 4-5
year project, all purpose cattle horse, but could be
ridden with threads when finished.  Danced for the
riders.  All any one usually noticed was the fancy
bit!  Spanish Riding School, still has the multi-year
training program for their Lippizan stallions.  Their
original purpose was training war horses for officers,
dependable in ANY situation, instantly responsive.
  Both kinds of training expected to get a long use
time from horse, at these high levels of training.
Both places were doing almost daily works, a tiny bit
more effort each ride, doing it correctly each time.

  Building an athletic, skilled, riding or driving
horse is a rewarding effort.  You both enjoy the
results.  No, not a fast procedure, but makes a
better, finished animal to go out and play with.
  Nice to hear so many folks letting horses work at
levels they can manage, taking the time needed.

Kathy Robertson

> Hi all,
>       The 'age' thing is one that will be long debated.
I totally agree that the biggest mistake is pushing
stock before they are ready mentally or physically.  I
totally agree that most equines don't get a 'mind'
until they are six.
 I also think it is huge mistake to make the
> commitment to driving IF you don't have the time to
> do it regularly.
>       I think that there is a huge difference between
> when people think 'training' starts.  I think
training starts as a foal.  Foals learn voice commands
and how to lead.  They learn how to deal with a halter
and being tied, being brushed and bug sprayed, picking
up their
> feet and standing still. A 'bath' is a good thing
> for them to learn about since they will have to have
them for the rest of performance life!  They need to
learn that us humans want them to 'do' something.  I