[drivingpairs] Achenbach reins

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:46:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/14/2006 11:03:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Who would like to sell me some Achenbach reins?  Has anyone had them made
> by
> local harness makers?  What are the specs?
> The reins we are using have only 3 adjustment holes.  Left horse (4 yr old)
> is turning his nose in and body out.  Especially in turns to the left, like
> he is running away from the pole...?  Have adjusted reins so that left
> horse's coupling rein is as long as possible to ensure we are not pulling
> his head right.  Right horse (3 yr old) goes straight and bends correctly in
> turns both directions.  We are using a neck yoke and splinter bar.
>
> Would Achenbach reins give us more adjustment options to fix this, or is the
> fix not in the reins at all?
>
> Thanks.

I can get you Achenbch reins. Contact me privately for details. But while I
certainly recommend for every pair driver to use Achenbach reins, your problem
is not in the reins, but with the pony, and is not fixed by rein adjustments,
but by teaching him to bend properly. See my post on the pairs website Pairs
102, drive figure 8's and use the whip on the inside pony, and switch left and
right pony frequently.  Also you probably missed my post on rein adjustments
recently - which I still promised to re-write and post on the website - but
haven't gotten to it yet - sorry. But by lengthening the coupling rein to the
left pony, that means you now also automatically with that shortened the draft
rein to the right one, so are making him crocked, and that's not good. So get
your reins straight again and then get the left pony first straight, and then
very careful into proper bending with LARGE circles at the walk with an inside
whip. Good luck.
Hardy