[drivingpairs] A pair with a cart // chariot again!!!

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:46:26 EDT

In a message dated 5/5/2005 12:03:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I'm still out here, busy as always.  With all this
> talk of pair carts...
>
> I have talked with my wheelwright some more about
> making me a chariot.  (I live close to Colonial
> Williamsburg and my wheelwright is Karl Gayer, who
> retired from there.)  I've got my research done and
> collected some very good books (remember, the TLC and
> BBC said that "no research has ever been done on
> chariots"), but most of the schematic and specific
> details are on Egyptian chariots, thanks to the fact
> that King Tut's tomb contained six chariots (remember,
> TLC and BBC said "no actual chariot has EVER BEEN
> FOUND").  However, I want a dorsal yoke and not a neck
> yoke, so the Roman style is what we will need to go
> with (and NOT the "Ben-Hur/Gladiator" movie props!!!)
>
> Hardy, do you suppose the ADS would allow an authentic
> chariot in a CDE some day?  I had hoped that we could
> have it done in time for Oak Hill in Virginia this
> October (yeah, right!!).... but maybe next year, for
> the driving show/musical demonstration...

I think it's great that you want to try to re-create something historic - and
with the dorsal yoke that probably could be ok for the horses. But since we
are a few thousand years after the times that it has been actually used, I
think that there might be some possible pitfalls that none of us could even be
aware of now. So you probably will have to go through perhaps quite a time of
trial and error, which I can only hope will not create any mishaps for you nor
your animals.

No, I don't see any chance to have that allowed in CDE's. CDE is a modern
competition sport, not a showcase for antique re-creations. So it would fit
much
better in the driving show/musical demonstration.

There are, however, modern chariot races as a sport around. I think in some
Western desert states (Nevada)  they do "chariot" races where the "chariots"
are made out of what looks like oil drums, cut open on one side with a pole and
a yoke attached, and then they go hell bent for leather.
Hardy (I'll be off e-mail till Monday)