[drivingpairs] A pair with a cart

  • From: "Candis Hankins" <kess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "driving pairs" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:01:44 -0500

The recent messages have been truly fascinating since I drive a pair of 48 inch
ponies with a cart.  This easy entry cart has an adjustable axle position and I
am able to adjust it to put about five pounds of weight on the ponies while I
am seated in the cart.  I use full collars and the ponies seem quite
comfortable.
    At first I had some trouble with the cart pushing the ponies on the neck
while going down hills.  By snugging up the breeching just a little the collars
stay in place better and hills are not much of a problem.  Most of my driving
is on rough grassy and rocky trails.  I've never had the pole come up on a hill
even though I can purposely rock back enough to raise it a little.
    I also have broken another rule by removing the yoke and replacing it with
a 12 inch 'T' crab (not the hook just the T) I found it difficult to position
the pole high enough with the yoke, and it added extra weight.  Now I use
leather straps that give about four inches of space between the collar and the
'T'.  That puts the ponies in a fairly straight position in the center of the
singletrees.  They usually position themselves so their bellies are about four
inches from the pole.
    This is not my first experience with a pair  pulling a cart.  I used to
drive a pair of Tennessee Walkers to a Meadowbrook believe it or not.  I was
always concerned that if the pole were to break there would be nothing to stop
the cart from turning upside down on the axle.  To remedy that I added  steel
reinforcement to the bottom side of the wooden pole.  The other problem was the
horses tended to be heavy on the bit and the cart would roll forward and
tighten the breeching when I held the lines.  Yikes!  The more I pulled the
more the cart pushed!  Anyway, aside from that the cart was always quite stable
and the horses never appeared uncomfortable.
    Since I am mostly a recreational driver with a few parades thrown in I
can't comment on competitive driving, but I wouldn't completely write off the
idea of pairs with carts.  I love to drive pairs and loading up a two wheel
cart for an afternoon on the trails is a whole lot easier for me than getting
out the heavy four wheeler.  I also find it a good means for training because
it turns around so easily.  Adjustment and balance is everything however, so if
you are not sure, choose the four wheeler.  Or how about a castor wheel under
the pole...just kidding..... Candis